Win the trip of a lifetime to Washington, D.C.!
Every year, Nueces Electric Cooperative sponsors the Government in Action Youth Tour, where four attendees to win a trip to Washington, D.C. During this educational and inspirational journey, attendees will take VIP tours of the monuments and speak with our legislators about NRECA priorities.
The Electric Cooperative Youth Tour has brought high school students to Washington, D.C. every June since 1964. Nearly 50,000 students from rural areas and small towns across America have participated in this program.
The Youth Tour is open to all 11th grade students whose parent/guardian is an NEC Co-op Energy member. This essay contest gives students the opportunity to prepare an essay on a defined topic and be considered to win a special trip to Washington, D.C.
Essays must be 400-600 words in length, typed and double-spaced on the topic of: “You are in charge of the energy efficiency program at your school. Describe ways you would recommend for your school to use energy more efficiently.” All essays become NEC property.
Announcements are made in Texas Co-op Power Magazine as well as on our websites in early Spring.
Trip Dates: June 6 – 15, 2018
PLUS: Each Youth Tour winner will also receive a $1,000 scholarship, should they attend an accredited Texas college or University.
—->To apply online visit our Youth Tour Application page.
Ramiro De La Paz Memorial Scholarship Fund
In 2018, NEC Co-op Energy will award twenty-four scholarships to graduating high school seniors who are dependents of NEC Co-op Energy members and meet the eligibility requirements set forth on the application form. Funding for this scholarship program comes from unclaimed NEC Co-op Energy capital credits. Unclaimed capital credits for NEC Co-op Energy members are sent to the Texas comptroller. NEC Co-op Energy applies annually to the comptroller to receive a portion of the funds back to support this scholarship program for students who plan to pursue studies at a Texas institution of higher learning approved by the Office of the Texas Comptroller.
The scholarships to be awarded during this school year are:
2018 Christmas Card Contest
Contest Ends Wednesday, January 24th:
- All entries must be hand-drawn and follow the contest theme of combing electricity or lineworkers with a Christmas or holiday component – Only original work will be accepted. (Upon submitting your work to NEC, you are solely responsible for any infringement or copyrighted materials).
- All entries must be received by 5 p.m. on Wednesday, January 24.
- Artwork must be delivered to the NEC offices at 14353 Cooperative Avenue Robstown, TX 78380 Attn: Madeline Chalk or emailed in a JPG format that does not exceed 1MB with this entry form.
- Online submissions are also accepted on our submission page
- All artists must be a dependent of a current member of Nueces Electric Cooperative.
- Children 18 years or under are eligible to participate.
Winners and Prizes:
- One (1) grand prize winner and one runner up will be determined in each of the three age categories below:
- Ages 8 & under
- Ages 9-13
- Ages 14-18.
- The three grand prize winners will each receive a $100 electric bill credit and a $100 Wal-Mart gift card.
- The three runner-ups will each receive a $50 electric bill credit and a $50 Wal-Mart gift card.
Winners will be announced in the March edition of Texas Co-op Power Magazine. NEC will also determine which of the winners’ artwork will be featured on the 2017 NEC Christmas Cards.
For more information or to submit your artwork, contact Madeline Chalk