Holiday Season Electric Tips! - NEC Coop
Dec 5, 2019 — News
As Christmas rolls near, the time for our Members to start decorating grows near too! Electricity Company in Texas, NEC wants to make sure you’re as safe as possible. As much as it can be exciting, it is important to be aware of some electrical safety that would be helpful during the holiday season. Below are some tips to stay safe during the holidays!
- Do not overload extension cords. Extension cords are made to be temporary solutions for temporary decorations. They should not be used for long term or permanent electrical circuit.
- Unlike incandescent bulbs which generate most of their energy in heat, LEDs are cool to the touch—which also indicates greater energy-efficiency.
- Turn off all indoor and outdoor holiday lighting before leaving the house or going to bed to save energy.
- Carefully inspect each electrical decoration before using. Cracked or damaged sockets, loose or bare wires, and loose connections may cause shock or start a fire.
- Outdoor electrical lights and decorations should be plugged into circuits protected by Ground Fault Circuit Interrupters.
Voted #1 Electric Provider
We were recently voted the #1 Electricity Provider by the Corpus Christi Caller-Times’ Best of the Best Awards for the 7th year running!