NEC Co-op Energy summer scam alert - NEC Coop
May 29, 2019 — News
Scammers don’t take summer vacations, as NEC Co-op Energy members are already receiving calls from scammers posing as a retail electric provider or a power line company to steal information or take payments over the phone. Electricity company in Texas, NEC-Co-op Energy will never demand payment over the phone, if you are in doubt, always hang up and call our office at 361-767-3865.
Recently, our members did just that and called our office to report the incident. We want to make sure that if you ever find yourself targeted by scammers, you are prepared and know what steps to take.
Here are some tips and information to help you make sure you don’t become the victim of scammers.
What are the signs?
• If you receive a suspicious call, hang up immediately – we never call or disconnect power outside of regular business hours.
• Be aware that scammers may provide you with false information, including verification numbers, greetings, messages and account status. Always call our office at 361-767-3865 or 855-632-7348 to verify any suspicious information.
• We never send anyone to your home to demand payment. Never allow someone claiming to represent NEC Co-op Energy into your home to collect payment or near the meter.
• All NEC Co-op Energy employees will be in an official NEC Co-op Energy company uniform. You have the right to ask NEC Co-op Energy employees for proper identification.
• You are welcome to report the incident to your local law enforcement agency.
How does NEC Co-op Energy handle payments?
• You will receive a disconnect notice in the mail with instructions on how to avoid disconnection of service.
• We will never demand payment over the phone, at a certain location, or by a pre-paid card. If we have an established credit card on file, we will verify with the last four digits of
the account holder’s social security number.
• You can pay in person at our Member Care Service center located in Robstown until Friday, June 14 at 1 p.m. Our Robstown office will be relocating to 5017 Saratoga Blvd, unit 135 in
Corpus Christi on Monday, June 17. You can also check your account balance on our website or call 1-855-632-7348.