New year? Never too early for scammers - NEC Coop
Jan 7, 2019
It’s the first week of 2019 and we have received multiple reports of scammers calling members and demanding payment over the phone. NEC Co-op Energy will never demand payment over the phone.
Our members did the right thing by calling our office to report the incident. We want to make sure that if you ever find yourself targeted by scammers, you are prepared and know what steps to take.
Here are some tips and information to help you make sure you don’t become the victim of scammers.
What are the signs?
- If you receive a suspicious call, hang up immediately.
- Be aware that scammers may provide you with false information, including verification numbers, greetings, messages and account status. Always call our office at 361-767-3865 to verify any suspicious information.
- We never send anyone to your home to demand payment. Never allow someone claiming to represent NEC into your home to collect payment.
- All NEC employees will be in an official NEC company car and uniform. You have the right to ask NEC employees for proper identification.
How does NEC handle payments?
- If your account is past due, you will receive an IVR callout in the event of account issues. You may also receive a disconnect notice with instructions on how to avoid disconnection of service.
- We will never demand payment over the phone, at a certain location, or by a pre-paid card. If we have an established credit card on file, we will verify with the last four digits of the account holder’s social security number.
- You can pay in person at one of our Customer Service centers located in Calallen, Ben Bolt, Ricardo or Orange Grove. You can also check your account balance on our website or call 855-632-7348